Thanksgiving Week

This Thursday is Thanksgiving here in the US. With the pandemic looking like it is ramping up again, many people, us included, will be scaling back on the holiday gatherings this year. We will not have the usual out of town folk here this year. We all just felt it was the safest thing and the right thing to do. So, it will be a small celebration with just three of us. But, if there is one thing that this turmoil of a year should bring into focus, it is that it is not the size of the celebration. It’s the celebration itself. It’s being thankful for what we have, who we have in our lives (whether they are physically with us at the table or not), and making the effort to keep these celebratory days full of joy and love, pandemic be damned.

Of, course, there are, and will continue to be, those who refuse to understand. They will have their huge gatherings, their parties, their celebrations, without regard for the harm they could be doing. I keep hearing people say, “Well, the survival rate is near 99% for most people.” I don’t know if that’s true, but even if it is, does that really mean we should discount the remaining 1% as unnecessary or expendable? I suppose for many, it’s very easy to do just that when the 1% doesn’t include people in your inner circle. But what happens when it does?

An example: I know someone who has been bitterly and angrily complaining all along about the measures their state and local governments have put in place in the attempt to contain COVID-19. They are loudly anti-mask. They feel they should be able to go wherever they want, see whoever they want, do whatever they want without some state or town telling them they can’t. A few days ago, this person started having some symptoms that could point to COVID-19 and decided to get tested. Now? They are “worried”. The test is taking too long to get results back and what the heck is wrong with the healthcare in this country? What if they get really sick and the hospital is full? Look, I will not smugly proclaim karma, or say they got what they deserve, and I sincerely hope the results are negative, but still. *sigh* Isn’t this what we have been saying all along? The risk is to everyone, and so everyone should be willing to do what needs to be done to minimize that risk for everyone. Common sense. Compassion. Empathy. Simple human kindness.

Anyway, let’s hope these vaccines that seem to be on the (distant) horizon work out the way they are promising. Let’s give some thought to our fellow humans during this holiday season and be careful. The turkeys, the gifts, the parties will all be there later when the world out there is safer. We can have our big get-togethers then. For now, let’s all do what we can to make sure we are all there to share those times.

Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating this week. For the rest of you- I am going to eat turkey and all the trimmings, and enjoy every minute of it!


Need some new books to read? Check out my books and stories here. I have Fantasy, Science Fiction, Urban Fantasy, novels, novelettes, and a novella out there. All are available wherever e-books are sold. Or get an idea of the sorts of things I write with these stories that are free to read here on the site.